Friday 23 August 2013

Unconditional Happiness


PS: This is one of my older articles. I don't quite agree with everything in this article anymore but since it was crucial to my journey, I decided to keep it online. Read it accordingly!


Okay so today I'm gonna share something somewhat personal. Try not  to cringe! Also, this topic possibly a little contradictory, so if you get lost, give it one more read.


There's was a girl in my class at Goa Engineering College, freshman year. From the moment I met her, I knew we were so alike that we are almost the 'same person' mentally, ideologically and temperamentally. We even share similar problems and levels of emotional maturity. 

I know where you might assume this is going! Slow down.

There's just one problem: We were always in a Like/Hate mindset about each other.

We'd get along like siblings one day, then have an all-out war the next day. This had been going on for as long as I can remember. Confusing right? Let's analyze it.

The reason this happened is because having similar thought patterns, I know that we both couldn't tolerate it when the other person seemed to be an overall better person than either of us. Maybe the other person felt smarter, more confident and what not. Maybe the other person wasn't better than you, but still did seem like it.

Whatever might be the situation, there was always some friction between us.


Opposites bring out the best in each other
They say Opposites Attract, and for good reason too!

In my opinion (and observation), If two people are quite similar to each other, it is quite difficult to maintain a stable platonic relationship. Each one knows how the other one thinks, and can even 'predict' their actions. This could easily lead to a lot of chaos within the relationship. While some would disagree, the level of emotional intimacy in such a relationship isn't the same with a non-platonic one.




Obviously, some level of similarity is quite necessary but it isn't as much as you might assume.

I mean, you won't be comfortable if you and your partner didn't share some interests, mindsets and intelligence too. But again I must mention: Too much of similarity is the problem. There will be intense feelings, and that's always a problem.

Although not necessary, they might find something in the other person which they themselves lack. Something new, exciting, which makes him/her want to stay in a relationship.




There should be happiness, period
You might find that choices like these (Engaging in a relationship, etc) seem like a no-brainer. Having someone exactly like yourself as a partner may seem like a perfect situation. But if you have even a slight doubt about it it's probably not the right choice. 

I hope you've noticed that now, we've gone away from the relationship aspect of the topic.

The correct choice isn't when you 'feel' it's right, but when you know it's right. There's a big difference between the two. It's not when you examine all the pros and cons and come to a decision, but when you don't even need to make such an examination in the first place. It should be the effortless and obvious.

Every big choice in a person's life must be taken this way. The choice must be without the slightest hint of hesitation about whether it's the right one. You are actually quite aware of what's right for you but there are factors that make you think otherwise. This is not some stray piece of advice but rather an excerpt from a theory in psychology. I really can't recall the whole theory, but I'm on the hunt for it. And once I find it, i'll surely share it.

Make your own decisions. They're what make you, 'You'!

Signing off,
Shawn Kenneth Fernandes.

P.S: After a lot of work, we managed to get along perfectly as friends.

Also, down the line, I found another friend who was almost shockingly similar to me, to the point where it was really scary and amazing. She inspired me and gave me hope that there are people out there who could appreciate me for what I am.

Rock on, both of you.




5 comments:

  1. Really thoughtful analysis. I wonder whether you still continue to have the same mindset towards each other?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interestingly not. We worked towards resolving it. And we don't fight as often, anymore. Really happy about it too. I imagine that the mindset is still there and isn't gonna change. But the approach really has changed.

      Delete
  2. Simran Bandekar19 May 2014 at 15:11

    Awww. Well, this time I think you struck gold ;-) Hopefully you don't have to search for 'her' anymore :-D XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  3. Latoya M. Wood23 May 2014 at 22:21

    This actually happens more often than one might think. I was in a similar situation back in college. The other person always matched me in everything. I had this intense feeling of hate but it wasn't entirely that.

    Either way, it was quite intriguing.

    ReplyDelete




Powered by Blogger.