Tuesday 3 September 2013

An Endless War Inside Our Heads

I've found myself to be listening to a surprising amount  of music lately. 

I'd like to share a particular song with you. The critically acclaimed Progressive Metal band "Dream Theater"  released a song called "The Enemy Inside" in 2013. Like much of their work the lyrics sparked something in my mind.

Here's a beautiful/painful part to reflect on:

''Over and over again 
I relive the moment 
I'm bearing a burden within 
Open wounds hidden under my skin 
The pain is real 
As a cut that bleeds 
The face I see 
Every time I try to sleep 
Staring at me crying 

I'm running from the enemy inside 

Looking for the life I left behind 
These suffocating memories 
Are etched upon my mind 
And I can't escape from the enemy inside 

I sever myself from the world 

I shut down completely 
Alone in my own living hell 
Overcome with irrational fear 
Under the weight of the world on my chest 
If I fall and break as I try to catch my breath 
Tell me I'm not dying "

The song made me realize that although sometimes we can't control what goes on in our head, we are in fact the reason for such thoughts. The human race is a tricky one and it's impossible to bear the pain of being a part of it . To ease the pain many of us succumb to the dark side only to realize that there is really no fix for the pain. But by the time we realize it, the damage is already done.
The ways we affect ourselves is the makings of a huge list. Unrealistic expectations, unintentional sacrifices, lack of confidence and coherence.....The list can go on and on. The interesting thing is that all of these are self-inflicted.

But that's an article for another day. For now, sit back and introspect. You might just be surprised. 


Signing off,
Shawn Kenneth Fernandes

P.S, For the curious readers here's a link to the lyric video. It is a little intense and long for those who aren't used to Progressive Metal or even Metal! But it's worth the listen. Skip on to 0:54.



  















If you enjoyed this, here is the music video:

















And another personal favorite from DT to keep the energy going! Cheers!

























Disclaimer:  This blog is not in any way affiliated with Dream Theater. These videos are for educational purposes only.. Enjoy!

6 comments:

  1. Zachary K. Dias16 May 2014 at 13:11

    I always liked that song but never really understood it. This is a unique take on it, and an excellent one may I add.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dream Theater for life :-D But the new album isn't really that exciting. Thankfully the singles are good. Enemy Inside is a personal favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Are you kidding me? On top of everything you write, you listen to Prog? Amazing! But not suprising. The progressive community has some really intellectual beings.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey guys! Yeah, I love Progressive Metal too! Nice to see some readers are fans!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't like Prog. It seems very dissonant to me. But this song isn't too bad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Progressive music usually uses complex instrumentation, compound time signatures, odd melodic and rhythmic patterns and a lot of experimentation. It's usually for long time listeners who are what you could call 'bored' of listening to a lot of mainstream metal or even other types of music.

      I can understand your apprehension though. I never liked prog in my early years. It's kind of an acquired taste. If you want to try it out, Pink Floyd is a softer and more melodic way to start.

      Delete




Powered by Blogger.